Sunday, April 8, 2007

Web quest results

My research this week broke from the finding of ideas, to finding out just how successful these activities have been for others. After reviewing several articles, I found two that were most useful. This first page dealt more with the certification levels of teachers, but it did stress that higher order thinking and problem solving skills are built through a quality web quest. The notion that the web quests had to be well planned, thought through and supervised reminded me that even using this technology won't work without a good quality plan. They're not the kind of thing that you just throw together to make your own life easier.
My second page is a research project that had some very interesting pre-activity and post activity results. I found these to be the most interesting aspect. Some of the things I thought would be shown were not. In this writing, there is also talk about some of the problems encountered. The most significant dealing with the same group work issues that we have talked about here. The bottom line though, seems to point to the useful aspect of these quests and getting students involved in their own learning, while having something more to do.
Lastly, I'd like to say that I didn't find any concrete studies on how successful the WebQuests really were. I expected to find a study that showed the tremendous strides made by students that were regularly involved with this style of learning activity. I'll keep looking. Maybe I've just been looking in the wrong places this week.

No comments: