Thursday, April 5, 2007

AHA

After thinking about creating my own webquests, that meet exactly what I want, I remembered that several years ago I created something similar. I was working in alternative education and was in a stand alone building. We taught after regular school hours, which meant that there was no technical support for our iffy at best(at the time) internet connection. My project involved volcanoes, so I did the research and burned all the students would need to CD. We were totally off line, yet students could still visit what they needed to complete their projects. I even signed a couple of CD's out to students so they could work at home.
This involved many emails and a few phone calls to get approval from site creators. Most were more than willing to allow me to do this, as long as I left their names on their stuff. I guess that could be seen as a primitive version of a web quest?
Remembering the time required to do this...if I do, it wasn't really that bad and was quite successful. Being on CD-R did make it a problem to make changes, but today with better access that is more dependable, I think I'd like to give it a shot.

1 comment:

KKRH said...

Neat idea! I used a WebQuest on proofs of the Pythagorean Theorem for a project for another class of mine this week, and I remember reading somewhere in the credits that the creator used a template for WebQuests. I wish I had the site in front of me right now so I could give you the link she put. Unfortunately, I'm on a borrowed computer (my internet is out this week...we moved) and don't have the website address. But take a look around for templates for WebQuests; I'm sure there's more than available and may make your job a little easier.