Sunday, April 1, 2007

Two New Pages to View and Inform

This week, I spent some time with one of our LS teachers. She co-teaches LS science with me in 8th grade, but also co-teaches 6th grade LS science, 7the grade LS science and teaches her own social studies classes. Her mission was to create a short unit for teaching electricity. In doing so, we came across a couple of really nice pages.
This first one, Ipex, meets every need I can think of for being a good site. The information was well organized, well animated and very useful. It covers a wide range of interests and is very user friendly. No complaints from me at all!
This second page, 6th Grade Energy Unit, seemed quite well done too! I could use this next year with my unit on alternative energy. I have the kids compete to win the contract to power my new city. They have to tout the benefits of their given energy source, keeping the not so good parts for the fine print, and create a billboard. It's a fun project that has resulted in some interesting campaigns. One other important requirement is that they can't trash another source. It has to be kept positive...I learned that the first year I tried it (things got a little ugly between nuclear, and solar power groups!)
At any rate, this second page has good information and would be a good starting point for my kids to start their research. It's appearance is that of a quality site without being too overly dependent upon flashy, distracting content. I think they may have read the same articles we just did.

No comments: